Initially released on the 15th of June 2018, interest in the online multi-player game skyrocketed this year, particularly in the second half of the year.
Thanks to well-known game streamers on Twitch and YouTube, who streamed the simple and addictive game on their platforms for their large fanbase.
COVID-19 was also instrumental to the sudden rise of the game. The entire gaming industry experienced an increase in engagements due to how the lockdown restricted people to their homes, and many looked to video games to cure the boredom.
Among Us has gained massive mainstream success; it became the most downloaded app on the iOS App Store in October 2020 for both iPhones and iPads.
It also climbed to 5th place on the most downloaded games on the iOS app store for this year, and is currently the 9th most downloaded mobile game of 2020.
Among Us Game Play
Among Us is an exciting multi-player action game developed and published by American gaming company, Innersloth.
The arena of the space-themed multi-player game is inside a spaceship, and It is playable by 4-10 players who can either connect locally over Wi-Fi or online.
There are two teams in the game: Human Crewmates and Alien Imposters. You can either play as a crewmate or as an imposter.
To win as a crewmate, your job is to complete tasks or kill suspected imposters by voting them out during emergency meetings.
Once all tasks are complete or all imposters are ejected, the human crewmates win. To win as an imposter, you must covertly kill human crewmates.
Imposters can also sabotage the ship by shutting down systems or attacking the spaceship directly.
When imposters sabotage the ship, humans must get to the issue in limited time to solve an emergency task to avoid losing.
If you are new to this game and down for some addictive fun, then you can play the Among Us game by simply downloading from the google Play Store for Android, iOS Appstore for iPhones and iPads or on purchase on Steam and itch.io for Windows PC.
If you are one of those who desire to download Among Us on Mac, or you intend to bypass the $5 fee it costs to purchase the Windows version.
Then you might want to stick around until the end of this article to learn how to about it.
How to download the Among Us game for free on PC and Mac.
To get Among Us on PC for free, you need to make use of an android emulator such as BlueStacks. In 4 easy steps which I would put you through, I would show you how to download and enjoy Among Us on your PC for free.
- Download and install the BlueStacks android emulator on your PC or Mac: The BlueStacks android emulator allows you to run android apps on your windows or macOS. It is safer to download from the BlueStacks website to avoid spyware.
- Log in your google account or sign up if you do not have a Gmail account.
- On Google Play Store app on BlueStacks, search for “among us”, locate the game and download.
- Start playing and enjoying Among Us on your Windows or Mac PC.
Some users may experience difficulties installing BlueStacks. These difficulties could be as a result of incompatibility with your PC.
Minimum system requirements for BlueStacks 4
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 and above
- Processor: Intel or AMD processor.
- RAM: Your PC must have at least 2GB of RAM
- HDD: 5GB Free Disk Space
- You must be an administrator on your PC
- Up to date graphics drivers from Microsoft or the chipset vendor
BlueStacks 4 will work on systems that achieve the minimum systems requirements. However, for a superior gaming experience they have a recommended system requirement.
Recommended system requirements for BlueStacks.
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10
- Processor: Intel or AMD multi-core.
- Processor with Single Thread benchmark score > 1000.
- Graphics: Intel/Nvidia/ATI, Onboard or Discrete controller with benchmark score >=750
- Ensure virtualization is enabled on your PC.
- RAM: 8GB or higher
- HDD: SSD (or Fusion/Hybrid Drives)
- Internet: Broadband connection to access games, accounts and related content.
You can install BlueStacks even if you have a virtual machine such as Microsoft Virtual PC, VMWare Workstation or Oracle VirtualBox, installed on the same PC.
However, note that you may run inro some performance issues. (source: BlueStacks support).
Learn the controls
With BlueStacks you can choose to control with either joystick or touch. In joystick mode you use your keyboard to navigate. In touch mode you make use of your mouse.
If you decide to make use of your keyboard in Joystick mode, the keys and their functions in the game are listed below.
For touch mode (mouse), most of the keys remain the same; except for the up, down, left and right movement keys that are replaced by the Mouse-Click.
Common problems and solutions.
- Lagging: Some users have complained about experiencing lag while playing Among Us on BlueStacks. Solution: This is usually a problem with your computer. Try freeing up some storage space, updating your graphic drivers, closing some other applications if you are running multiple applications at once on low storage or allocate to BlueStacks more RAM and CPU cores. You can do that in “engine settings” on BlueStacks.
- To enable Among Us run faster on BlueStacks, you need to enable hardware virtualization. When enabled, it allows your computer to allocate more resources to BlueStacks. To enable virtualization on your operating system, read this article by BlueStacks Support.