Netflix is one of the world’s most innovative and revolutionary companies in recent history. The company began in 1997 as an online DVD rental service, that rented out DVDs through mail.
At a time when only 2% of American homes owned DVD players. Netflix’s current business model was built as an upgrade on the VHS/DVD rental business that reigned in the 80s and 90s.
Netflix is a movie streaming platform and movie production company that has revolutionized how we see TV.
Headquartered in Los Gatos California, the company currently boasts of over 195 million monthly subscribers, 73 million of its total global subscribers are in the US. The rest are spread across the globe.
Although there are rival companies such as Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Disney Plus, and Facebook Watch.
Netflix has stood out as the most successful video streaming service. Thanks to its quality original movie releases, top-notch user experience, and the service’s appeal.
Netflix offers great career opportunities for those who desire to work with the company.
They are always looking to recruit talents who exemplify and are fit for their clearly defined culture.
Which you can find on their job site.
Although Netflix prides itself on hiring exceptional talents that are at the top in their respective fields.
This means there are limited opportunities at Netflix for people with little or no working experience.
If you are interested in finding a job at Netflix then you should stick around till the end of this article.
We will put you through all that you need to know to apply for a job at Netflix and ultimately get hired.
JOBS OFFERED BY NETFLIX
There are currently over 300 job openings listed on Netflix’s job site, and many of its recruiters scout for talents on LinkedIn.
You can search and apply for jobs directly on Netflix’s Jobsite or through websites like LinkedIn and Glassdoor.
Netflix does not micro-manage its employees. The company gives its employees freedom, flexibility, and a high degree of autonomy.
So, if you desire to work for Netflix, you must be able to handle the pressure that comes with working at your own pace, making decisions and judgments for the good of Netflix with minimal supervision.
Being an online video streaming platform and content production company, most of Netflix’s openings are usually tech and film production jobs.
Some of Netflix’s job offers include:
- Software Engineers
- Customer Service Representatives:
- Data Scientists:
- Cloud and platform engineers:
- Creative Development and Production Manager:
- Business Analyst:
- Content Accountant:
- Post Production Coordinator
APPLYING FOR A NETFLIX JOB
Netflix attends to job applications through its website. This is the application process:
- Enter Netflix’s job website and review available openings.
- You can search for your preferred keyword. The website also allows you to filter your search by location and teams.
- You can search with GlassDoor or any third-party job search website where the opening is listed. The website directs you to the Netflix website when you click on “apply”.
- When you find an offer that is most suitable for you, click on the title to read the detailed information about the job opening. Information such as:
- Job description (duties and roles)
- Job requirements (skills, experience, certifications)
- Required applicant profile (about you)
- Apply by filling the form and uploading your resume. Click on “submit application”.
THE INTERVIEW FOR A NETFLIX JOB
Netflix is renowned for its company culture. One of the most important parts of succeeding in a Netflix interview is proving that you exemplify the company culture and values.
It is important to read it’s Culture Statement carefully before your application because the first three to four interviews would be centered exclusively on Netflix’s culture.
Another thing that Netflix demands from its employees are real values, not just written, vague corporate values that are often ignored.
Netflix’s values include judgment, impact, curiosity, integrity, innovation, inclusion, selflessness, passion, courage, communication, and judgment.
The more these values resonate with you and the people you will like to work with, the better your chances of thriving at Netflix.
Get familiar with the company. Vice president of talent acquisition for Netflix recommends “Having a good sense of what content we are working on”.
You can do that by attending events organized by Netflix, reading up articles, subscribing to a Netflix plan, use the product, and think up ways that you can improve it.
Conduct diligent research on the teams you are applying to, and get to know their recent projects.
Netflix only employs experienced mature talent, who can make use of their freedom to get results even with little to no oversight.
Therefore, if you are an entry-level applicant focus on getting experience through internships and working on projects that build your skills and passion.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT NETFLIX
- Good salary: Netflix pays significantly higher than the national average of each role.
- Unlimited vacation days: Netflix has a “No Vacation Policy”. This policy gives employees the freedom and flexibility to decide when they want to work and when they want to take a break from work. Netflix CEO, Reed Hastings shed more light on the policy in his book “No rules rules”. Hastings came up with the policy for two main reasons, firstly he thought it was irrelevant to track how many hours people are working but instead track their output and productivity. Secondly, he observed that most of the company’s biggest innovations happened after the employees resumed from vacation.
- Up to 12 months maternity & paternity leave: Paternity and maternity leaves are necessary for maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Having and raising a child requires a high level of commitment, time, and resources. Especially in the earliest stages.
- Free lunches
- Health care insurance: Netflix employees are entitled to health care, life, vision, dental, and even disability insurance.
- Tangible compensation for employees that get laid off