The music streaming market has grown into a very competitive space in the past decades.
The times when you had to buy CDs for your mp3 players, just to listen to your favorite songs from your favorite artists are well long gone.
With notable platforms like YouTube Music, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer, etc.
Fighting for who gets the listeners’ ears, Swedish company Spotify stands out as the most successful music streaming platform in the world.
Spotify boasts of 144 million premium subscribers from around the globe, the highest number of premium subscribers on a streaming service.
Spotify was also rated by Business Insider back in August as the overall best streaming service you can subscribe to.
Apart from the fact that Spotify has been around longer than most major music streaming services, the success Spotify has achieved is mainly due to its wide range of music, seamless compatibility with almost any device, accurate music recommendation system, free membership (with ads) and 3 months premium membership free trial.
One of the people responsible for the existence; rise, and success of Spotify is Daniel Ek.
Spotify was initially designed and co-founded by Swedish software engineer and businessman Daniel Ek. Ek is a genius programmer and businessman, who became a self-made millionaire at 23 by designing websites and selling his first company.
This culture of excellence and brilliance as seen in Ek is also required of anyone who desires to land a job at Spotify.
The company wrote in a 2017 blog post on their hiring criteria, in the article they described the working environment at Spotify as “extremely diverse, fast-paced, and ever-changing”
Spotify’s main criteria are excellence. They primarily demand that your skillset and qualifications are excellent for the role you are applying for.
And that your resume stands out. While they encourage and appreciate referrals, they stated on their blog that everyone is assessed the same way.
And that knowing someone at Spotify does not in any way give you an edge over other applicants.
Nevertheless, it is advisable to get insider assistance if you have access to it. If you don’t, you can build on LinkedIn.
JOBS OFFERED AT SPOTIFY
There is a wide range of roles at Spotify, which translates to career opportunities for talents from a wide range of fields of study.
Some of the roles include engineering; design, HR, product management, content, business development legal, analytics, research and development, accounting and finance, etc.
Some of the jobs offered at Spotify include:
- Data Engineer: Make use of data from internal and external sources to improve user experience.
- Product design manager: They lead, manage, and grow teams that work together to develop and maintain tools on Spotify.
- Android & iOS engineer: These engineers work to build and improve Spotify user experience on their respective platforms.
- Tax Analyst: These are the people who work to ensure Spotify’s tax reporting and compliance. They also coordinate tax payments and reconcile the general ledger. A degree in accounting or any related field is what is needed to land this role.
- Research Scientists: They carry out research to the end of improving Spotify’s products.
- Podcast Content Strategist: They steer the creative and artistic direction of Spotify’s original podcast productions. Podcast Content Strategists work with Spotify’s data scientists and market researchers to help guide Spotify’s programming decisions.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A JOB OPENING AT SPOTIFY
- The first step to take when applying for a Spotify Job opening is to visit Spotify’s official job website to view all the job openings available in every country where Spotify is located.
- On the website, you will find relevant information on the jobs, categories, and location that aligns with your interests, skills, and experience. You can also check Spotify jobs on Glassdoor.
- When you find the job opening you want, the next step is to apply. When you click on a job listing on the career page, the next page contains a detailed job description and applicant requirements. Click on the “apply now” button on this page to access the application form. Attach your resume, fill, and submit the form to complete your application.
- Be patient and wait for the call. Spotify is the biggest music streaming service in the world, this means that, just as you are trying to land a Spotify job, there would be hundreds and even thousands of other talents trying to get the same role you are applying for. So, you need to exercise patience for Spotify to properly vet every single applicant.
TIPS FOR A JOB OPENING AT SPOTIFY
- Only apply for the roles you are very good at: It is possible to feel like you are so good and can deliver if you were hired for several roles, or you are just trying your luck as many times as possible to increase your chances of getting called for an interview, so you submit numerous applications. Doing this only reduces your chances of getting hired as it makes them wonder if you know what you want. Only apply for the job you are a great match for. Focus on what you are most great at and most passionate about.
- Make your resume as clear and concise as possible: Do not saturate your resume with too much less important information that makes it difficult to easily spot your best achievements and qualities.
- Read up on company culture: On Spotify’s job page, you will find the company culture divided into 4 sections: The Brand Manifesto, Diversity & Belonging, Heart & Soul, and Racial Equity. Dig into all four and it will give you all the information you need about Spotify’s strong values, culture, and beliefs. This is particularly important if you secure an interview because apart from technical ability, they would also be looking out for applicants that exemplify their culture and values. So, when you are called for an interview make sure you showcase that you exemplify Spotify’s core values such as inclusion and equity.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT SPOTIFY
Spotify has an employee benefits rating of 4.5/5 on Glassdoor.
- Good pay: Although Spotify does not pay as much as other notable tech giants like Facebook, Google, and Apple. Spotify still offers very good compensation, but you need to learn to properly negotiate your salary. Do not let the fact that you are about to land a job with one of the biggest companies in the world make you accept whatever offer is thrown at you.
- Holiday Swapping: Spotify allows its employees to work on public holidays like New Year’s Day and take another day off.
- Paid Holidays/Vacations.
- 6 months maternity and paternity leave.
- Stock options.